Maybe you’ve noticed that your teen hasn’t seemed like herself for some time. You don’t understand where these worries are coming from. You don’t understand your child anymore.
She worries about most things and is afraid to take chances.
She seems highly stressed and has difficulty relaxing.
She complains of physical symptoms with no medical reasons.
She no longer enjoys the things she used to.
She is moody and easily irritated by what seems like minor things.
Her self-esteem and confidence are at an all-time low.
It seems like everything you say, is the wrong thing.
Your heart breaks for your teen and you just want to make things better. You hate seeing her like this. Her anxiety is affecting everything, and family life revolves around her anxiety.
You want her to enjoy her life.
You want her to feel confident.
You want her to feel she can handle anything that comes her way.
That’s where GLOW comes in. GLOW is designed to help teens understand their anxiety and how to manage it.
You will also gain an understanding of anxiety, so that you’re confident that you’re helping your teen rather than wondering if you are making it worse.
In the GLOW program, I will
- Teach your teen, and you, all about anxiety
- Introducing relaxation and mindfulness to help your teen reduce anxiety when it comes up
- Help her recognize and change unhelpful, anxiety-increasing thinking
- Teach her to recognize “threats” in a more accurate way
- Encourage her to face her fears using a simple step-by-step technique
Keep in mind, the goal isn’t to get rid of anxiety. The goal is to keep it at a manageable level.
Quick Tips for Parents
- As tempting as it can be, don’t allow your teen to avoid things because of anxiety. This just reinforces the idea that they should be scared.
- Respect/validate the feeling without giving it power. Acknowledge that they are feeling anxious and let them know that you understand.
- Express belief in her and her ability to tolerate, handle, and overcome the anxiety. Let her know that you are there to help her through it.
- Master of Social Work Degree (MSW)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) & Qualified Supervisor
- Certified Clinical Anxiety Treatment Professional-Child & Adolescent (CCATP-CA)
- Registered Play Therapist, Supervisor (RPT-S)
- Nationally Certified Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapist (TF-CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR) Trained
- Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 200)
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Trained